Sunday 17 July 2011

No Need for Expensive Facials...Just Try an Egg Facial Mask!!



I've been wanting to try an at home facial mask for a while now, but everytime I did a search on google, there were so many different options available, that I would get overwhelmed and eventually just give up!! Keep in mind also that alot of the recipes on offer used ingredients that I didn't have chillin in my kitchen already, therefore I would have to go and buy it, which I thought defeated the purpose of it being 'at home' (meaning it was already 'in my home'... lol).

With today being Sunday though, I decided to finally choose one to try it. So, I settled for the egg facial mask, cause I always have eggs chillin in my fridge, like I'm sure you do too :-)
This mask is great for oily skin (which I sooo have...), because the egg whites cleanse, draws out the oils, exfoliates and tighten, while the egg yolk moisturises and soothes. Perfect right!?!? It sure was :-)

So what do you do?

1. Wash your face with warm water. (I did this while I was in the shower because the steam + the warm water helps with the opening up of pores).

2. Crack 1 egg and separate the yolk and the whites into 2 different bowls.

3. Whip the egg white with a few drops of lemon juice until frothy. (The lemon juice is optional, but it does help drain the excess oils from your face).

4. Apply the egg white mixture all over your face, in a circular motion. Be careful to avoid the eyes and lips!
(I also applied the mixture on my neck, because the neck is an important area to remember when you are doing anything that relates to, and includes the face).

 5. Wait 15-20 minutes, or until your face dries up and hardens, which it will!! (This step must be what botox feels like, because my face was so stiff! I was trying to pull faces, but it wouldn't move...lol)
WARNING: Your face will look weird and nasty as the mask dries up!!! :-P

6. ENJOY YOURSELF AND DO SOMETHING RELAXING WHILE YOU WAIT!! (I watched my favourite weekly reality shows).

7. Wipe your face with a warm towel. (As soon as I did this, I immediately could see the difference in my face looking clear, dry and matte).

8. Whip up the yolk and apply it in the same manner as you did the egg whites and wait for 15-20 minutes. (The yolk had a really nice creamy texture as I applied it, which was a nice change to the feeling of the egg whites, but it did also tighten up!!)

9. Repeat step 6!!

10. Wash the yolk mixture off with warm water, using a damp cloth to clean off any excess residue. Follow this with cold water, which will assist in closing up the pores. (WARNING: The egg yolk does smells a little bit, so make sure to wash and clean it all off properly, especially around the hairline and including your hands).

11. Apply your moisturiser of choice to re-hydrate your face. (My skin did feel a little tingly after I applied the moisturiser, but the feeling went away eventually).

Now I am quite skeptical about all these different skin care regimens, but I definitely noticed that my face was clear, dry, smooth and looked fresh!! So I will be keeping this up and doing it weekly to see if there are any positive long term changes!

For more tips and details about the benefits of eggs as facials masks, check out these links:

So, try it out for yourself and let me know if it works for you too!!

2 comments: